Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dancing grandmas

Today I overslept and got to work at the Wildlife Society an hour late. While I was there my camera gave me some trouble, and since then it has only been working on and off. Hopefully it pulls through, otherwise that would be devestating. While I was at work Jiries worked on the wall mural, in the afternoon we taught Hainia (the Brazilian nun) English for just over an hour, and then after we went to Ush Gharab. Tata Huda's university was having a senior citizens night there with friends and family invited. Since I hang out at the "university" twice a week, most of the elderly people recognized me tonight, it was pretty funny. A group of young people put on a Dubka show - I don't know if I spelled that right- which is traditional Palestinian folklore dancing. Shorok told me most kids learn how to do the Dubka, guys and girls alike. She knows how to and she said she would teach me how to do it! Most of the elderly people got up and danced while the Dubka kids did their thing. The kids ate snacks, smoked argeela (hookah), and were very entertained.

Wall progress:


English lessons


Dubka dancers at Ush Gharab




Except for Maureen, shes not a grandma, but all the other dancers in the audience were



Ah I will put up more pictures tomorrow, bed time now, can't be late again in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment